----- Original Message -----
From: <nobu.nokada / softhome.net>

How did you run the program?  It worked in "DOS Prompt".

Well, I'll be damned... you're right!  I was running the program in the port
of rxvt which comes in the cygwin distribution, but I had good reason
(obviously not good enough) to believe that rxvt was not at fault:

When I said that the Linux version of ruby was fine, I was running that in
the *same* rxvt window!  I just ssh'd over to my linux box and ran it there.

Why would that be?

As the PragProgs say:  Don't Assume It; Prove it.  (That's the second time
this week I've been bitten by not following that rule.)

Chris