On  7 Aug, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "[ruby-talk:00573] Re: New feature request! :-)"
>     on 99/08/06, clemens.hintze / alcatel.de <clemens.hintze / alcatel.de> writes:

[...]

> You can consider the interpreter with static linked extensions as mere
> aggregation.  So, you don't have to publish source code of your
> extension library.

That's fine. I have hoped you would say that. ;-))))

[...]

> But, you still need to point where to get the source somewhere in the
> distribution.  That's required not because of my lisence, but LGPL,
> which covers regex.[ch] in Ruby.  I can agree with your condition, but
> I can't change the LGPL condition. sigh.

Which source? My extension? Ruby? regex.[ch]?

[...]

> Ruby's lisence is much weaker than GPL.  Mostly same as Perl's, but
> bit more weaker.  If you or your colleage are using any free software
> in your project, there must be the legal way to use Ruby.

Right! So I ask you so detailed. You know, we Germans are a folk, that
have to know things very deeply. Too deep many people say! ;-)))

> |They even don't like free software too much! They want someone to make
> |responsible for, if anything went wrong. As I have said, that I can
> |take responsibility for Ruby within my task area, they let me
> |investigate the license issues. If they are convinced, with the
> |information I have collected, they will let me go my way .... :-))))))
>
> Really?  I thought free softwares are widely accepted in Europe.

They are... Only big companies or consortiums don't like it too much.
Because reasons mentioned above. :-(

[...]

> If the following returns nil, I feel angry. :-)
>
>    def foo
>      print "foobar\n"
>      "baz"
>    end

Okay! I can understand that. Perhaps I would also looks strange if that
happens. ;-)

> Python way is little bit nicer to parser, and users.
>
>    def foo
>      print "foobar\n"\
>      "baz"
>    end

Yeah!

> Historically, Ruby did compile time concatenation for literals.  But
> when I found out two following facts, I stopped that.
>
>   * you can redefine String's `+' method
>   * string concatenation is light enough to abandon

But it let look the source ugly sometimes! I find it very nice to write:

        $copyright = "This software blah blah blah blah blah blah"\
                     "blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah"\
                     "blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah"\
                     "blah blah blah blah blah blah..."

[...]

> Only if I find the way; it's too early to appreciate. ;-)

Ey! "Only if I find a way; ..."???? You are the creator of Ruby! :-)

>                                                 matz.

\cle