Hi --

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Shannon Fang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since Matz is the creator and his opinion is not to add elseif, I'd
> rather say, we keep it like that. I agree with the view that alias is
> not a good thing. Because it makes READING a program harder, when you
> I first encounter do |var| ... end, I didn't realize {|var|... } is also
> ok, but it seems straight forward...
>
> The problem with elsif is that I think all major lanugages, C/C++ Pascal
> Basic... are not using such strange thing. When I type in "else if" and
> "elseif" in ruby, it doesn't work... It makes learning a bit
> not-so-straightforward...

True, you can't just type in C or Pascal keywords and expect them to
work in Ruby.  Nor the other way around.

> I think for most people here, ruby is not the first lanugage, but ruby
> is definitely among the best, if not THE best. As an incentive to learn
> a second, third, fourth... lanugage, it must be easy to learn...

I think many, many people have found Ruby to be almost uniquely
accessible and learnable among programming languages.  I don't know
what more you can ask from a language than that its learning curve be
what Ruby's is.  There would be no point in having a language where
you literally had to learn nothing new, since there would be nothing
new in it.

I'm not saying that the lack of 'e' in elsif is some kind of great
innovation.  (Personally I can't get worked up about it at all.)  But
I do think it's a bit ironic that Ruby, of all languages, should be
taken to task for not being straightforward to learn, when in fact the
evidence I've seen and heard suggests that it leads the pack in that
area.

David

--
David Alan Black