I've found that if you comment out the "socket" lib in the ext/Setup file
when you install Ruby, this error can occur (which seems rather
counter-intuitive to me).  In fact, what is the "socket" in ext/Setup?  How
is it different from the regular socket lib?

If this happens for every lib you try to require (and not just socket),
then try rebuilding with the --enable-shared option.

If that still doesn't work, try setting your LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to
the Ruby lib path.

Regards,

Dan