> > My personal feelings about variable substitution was that I put off learning
> > it until I really had to, and I still almost never use it, in favor of
> > string concatenation.  I just don't see the point.  [...]
> >
> > My 2 cents, anyway.
>
> I must say, I find this opinion absolutely amazing.  I am being forced
> to code Java at work at the moment, and of course there are many things
> I hate about it.  Somewhere near the top is the lack of variable
> substitution.  I suppose if Vim couldn't handle the highlighting, it
> would be off-putting.

I don't see what the big deal about highlighting is.  Regardless of syntax
highlighting, I think that this:

puts "Result: #{num1} + #{num2} = #{num1+num2}"

Is more readable than

puts 'Result: ' + num1.to_s + ' + ' + num2.to_s + ' = ' + (num1+num2).to_s

But that's just my opinion.

Regardless, I concede Chris' point.  In a tutorial it's best to not show
too many ways to do it.  I think I'll go the single-quote route.

Daniel.