On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 09:22, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Alright, concensus seems to be irb is not the best option.  I'll start
> changing what I have.  You can look at my progress:
>
> http://www.math.umd.edu/~dcarrera/ruby/0.1/

Looks great!  My first comment, though, is that you need some links for next,
previous, back-to-contents.

By the way, I notice in your chapter on strings, you are using single quotes.
I'd have to agree with whomever it was earlier who suggested it might be a
good idea to start with double quotes, so you don't have to explain "you can
also use double quotes ..." when you want to do things like "2 + 2 = #{2 +
2}" later on.

> For now, I've replaced both 'Fixnum' and 'Float' by 'integer' and
> 'decimal'.  Take a look at it.

Personally, I like "integer", but my memory doesn't go back far enough to
reach my schooldays ... I think they tend to say "whole number", rather than
"integer".  If I recall, I learned the terms integer, natural number, real
etc. in first year university.

I realise you're not aiming this directly at kiddies, but it might be worth
checking into this kind of vocabulary if you want to make it easy for kids to
use the tutorial.

H.