> I hate to say this but the _Windows_ irb (at least the one packaged with
> the PragProg installer) is awesome for multi-liners.

I realised that was probably the case, about five seconds after I pressed the
"send" button :-).

This is one place where Windows has it all over Linux ... although, there's no
reason someone couldn't port rubyw (?) to Linux, to provide the same nice
learning environment.

> If you go back in
> the history and select a line, then the next line's history will begin
> at the selected line.  Make sense?  If not, try this:
>
>   o Run irb from Windows `cmd`.
>   o Type in your three lines of code.
>
>       5.times do
>          puts "Hello"
>       end
>
>   o Now, punch the up arrow three times to display the line '5.times do'
>     on your irb console.
>   o Hit enter.
>   o Now, press down.  What line appears?
>   o Hit enter.
>   o Press down again.  Hit enter.

Ah, so it's not as nice as I'd imagined.  I figured you'd be able to just type
in a window, highlight some code and press a button to execute it.  Hence,
fixing typos would be just a matter of editing what's in the window.

Mind you, in that case, it wouldn't be much different from using a real
editor, except for the ease of execution.  I seem to recall someone wote some
macros to execute Ruby code in vim ... but then, teaching someone vim AND
ruby would be twice the challenge, so best avoided, really !!

> How do you like that?  I gotcha all hooked up now.  I haven't looked
> into how it works, but I often long for it on my primary platforms.  Wo
> is me.

Not me, I'm afraid :-).  Give me a real editor any day.

After all, that's the point of having multiple windows in a windowing system,
isn't it?  I can have an editor open on a "play" script in one window and a
shell where I can just go "!!" to run it again after I've hacked a bit more
in another window.

Actually, I was thinking to myself the other day, I wonder whether anyone has
written a library to allow you to hook gvim into a window of a GUI?  I'd love
to use one of these nice IDE thingies, but just can't be bothered learning
another editor.

But, I digress ...

H.