Nikodemus Siivola <tsiivola / cc.hut.fi> writes:
> On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Daniel Carrera wrote:
>
> > I think that irb is simplest.  It does look just like a calculator.
> > Specially if you don't introduce 'print' at first, like I plan to.
>
> Pet hate: long tutorials which use a read-eval-print-loop-thingie like irb.
>
> Why? I make typos. It's pretty frustrating to have to type the same lines
> over and over again, each time making a typo in a different place. With
> files you get a nice incremental progress, and as an added bonus you get to
> keep the fruits of your labor as a personal reference.

irb uses readline, which means if you typo, you can just go back and
correct it, instead of typing it all in again from scratch.  That's
not to discount the value of having everything in a file you can refer
to later-- I tend to "learn" most of my tricks from programs where I
did it before, but forgot how, or realize now that I can do it better.

-=Eric
		-- Blair Houghton