From: "Daniel Carrera" <dcarrera / math.umd.edu>

> > I started out in BASIC (in 1980), and it was interactive.  My next
> > language was Forth... highly interactive.

> Did you do multi-line statements in BASIC interactively?  Like loops?

Well, yes... but in BASIC one could not only enter statements to
be executed immediately-interactively, but by preceding the statement
with a line number could enter it in as a line of the program...

So,

print "hello world"

didn't feel too much different from

10 print "hello world"
20 goto 10

:)

> How did it turn out?
> Did you find it frustrating when you made a typo?

Not particularly.... but then, I believe one could type "EDIT"
and have an interface for scrolling through and editing the
source code.  So, when my programs (quickly) became large enough
to need the features of the editor, I still enjoyed being able to
leave the editor and type 'immediate' statements into the
interpreter for interactive evaluation... and then back into the
editor.  (Much as I do now between an editor and IRB... :)

Forth was rather similar, now that I think about it, in terms of
having a built-in editor.  (But, I could name my subroutines! ;)

Perhaps some sort of Ruby editor with a built-in IRB would be
ideal....  (Actually I seem to recall Phlip announcing something
like that many moons ago...  Yes- RuEdit in [ruby-talk:22766]...
Hmm in this case the editor's built-in macro language is Ruby..)

Any Ruby editors out there that let you try out/evaluate snippets
of source code, IRB-style, without leaving the editor?  Just
curious...

Regards,

Bill