* Shannon Fang (xrfang / hotmail.com) [05 Dec 2002 11:12]:

[...]
> I don't think you should attribute regex to perl. I love regex, but it
> is not a perl thing. I use grep and vim... all support regex.

It is a perl thing: Native regex support *in* the *language*.

One reason I've not bothered looking at the xregex package someone
posted was because it uses strings rather than regexes. I'd much rather
see xregex posted as a patch to the ruby sources to improve all regexen.

> About other stuff like $_ $! $` .... I *hate* them. Probably using
> english.rb is better?

I was mostly thinking $1, $2, $3 ...

While it would be good using the long names of the punctuation ones,
sometimes that's just irritating. I'm not a Java/VB programmer =)

For me, writing unnecessary code is what makes a programming language
bad. Thus Perl loses points in the OO department, while Ruby gives
several thousand. Ruby lets me do things quickly and simply.

I use $1.. rather than fiddling with match objects. Does that make me a
bad ruby programmer? =)

I think we're just disagreeing about *how* ruby is so lovely =)

cheers,
--
Iain.