Well easy to learn and easy to read is most important reason I like ruby.
That's why I am hypersensitive about the funny symbols. I would again
express my thanks to Gavin, and all rubyists here to help me understand
funny symbols and Symbol class.

I don't think you should attribute regex to perl. I love regex, but it
is not a perl thing. I use grep and vim... all support regex. About
other stuff like $_ $! $` .... I *hate* them. Probably using english.rb
is better?

Shannon