Peter Hickman <peter / semantico.com> wrote:
> Now I used to think that instance variables only existed when you
> created an object by the new method, x = Fred.new, and that you would
> have to access it from x.
>
> It's not a problem it's just not quite how I thought it was going to work.

Well, there are object instance variables, which *are* created when you
create an object by the new method. And then there are class instance
variables, which are instance variables of the class object. When you
say 'class MyClass', you are in effect saying 'MyClass = Class.new',
i.e. instantiating an object of class Class.

martin