On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Dave Thomas wrote:

>We thought long and hard about this.
>
>In the end, we decided that one of the things that's important is that
>Ruby should look like a "real" application; that is it should not be
>surprising when people install it.
>
>Folks are used to the look and feel of InstallShield, and we felt that
>was important enough to shell out the $250 or whatever.
>
>We might well be wrong about this, but it's one of those decisions
>where it's safer to be wrong by using it than wrong by not using it.

Ok, point taken and agreed.  I pointed that out just because I think InnoSetup
is a very stable and popular opensource setup program for Windows only.

Actually, I have personally tried it as a developer and a user and it is easy on
both ends.  Really, the present version isn't quite distinguishable from
InstallShield on the users's perspective.  (Try installing mingw32 and you'll
know what I mean)

Considering the above, I presently can't see a lot of merit of using IS except
that it has a larger userbase.  Anyways, if you have money to smoke, it should
not matter a lot since IS is updated quite frequently too and I've heard that
the company is among the better ones in terms of support.

I personally would choose InnoSetup, but at the end, I guess it's just about
choice ;)

Mike