actually i think that using something like:

def root?()
	path = Dir.pwd
	# **ugly** hack...
	Dir.chdir("..")
	pathUp = Dir.pwd
	Dir.chdir(path)
	return (pathUp == path)
end

should work on UNIX and windows (only tested under UNIX).
changing temporarily the current directory is extremely ugly (think threads),
but I don't see any other simple options (if i had a windows machine with
ruby installed and some time however..).

anything better?

emmanuel

--
"Stop the world, I want to hop off!"