From: Ramesh Ramloll [mailto:ramloll2001 / yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, 28 November 2002 3:17 PM
To: ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org
Cc: danny / laamella.com
Subject: Re: RUDL install problems on win32

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the dependency walker tool tip. I managed
to find out what the problem is.
The version of RUDL.so I have depends on
mswin32-ruby17.dll. In my installation of ruby which
is the 'one click installation stuff from the
Pragmaticprogramming.com site' I have
msvcrt-ruby17.dll
Has anyone got the proper dll which I could just try
to put in the ruby\bin folder? I found an
mswin32-ruby16.dll from somewhere but predictably got
a segmentation fault while trying to run the sample
examples.
Thanks again Bill, this tool is a great find.

--- Bill Kelly <billk / cts.com> wrote:
> Hi Ramesh,
>
> From: "Ramesh Ramloll" <ramloll2001 / yahoo.com>
> >
> > Hi Bill,
> > Checked the windows excutables search path, its
> > pointing to the right place. All the dlls are in
> > c:\ruby\bin and the latter of course is on my
> PATH.
> > Well was just trying some interesting minimal
> > multi-media application to  learn Ruby.
>
> Sorry to hear RUDL isn't working for you, but glad
> GLUT and
> OpenGL are.  Perhaps the win32 Dependency Walker
> ( http://www.dependencywalker.com/ ) would be of
> some utility
> in troublshooting RUDL's Missing Link...
>
> Also, I've noticed on RAA an alternate SDL binding
> for Ruby,
> but haven't tried it yet myself:
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/raa-list.rhtml?id=415
>
> Additionally, in case it might be relevant to what
> you want
> to do with Ruby, here's one way (albeit
> windows-specific) to
> play sounds:
> http://www.ruby-talk.com/55423
>
> > I think there has always been a lot of
> > un-necessary cognitive load on setting things up
> > before you get started. I remember this was true
> with
> > the Java CLASSPATH in the begining.
>
> Yes, it's regrettable the RUDL library doesn't
> specify which
> DLL it's unable to link with. . . . I haven't
> experienced
> many dependency-related problems in Ruby yet, so far
> most
> things I've added have just Worked for me, but maybe
> I've
> been lucky so far.  I've certainly had my share of
> NoClassDefFound exceptions in Java. :)
>
> > Anyway, at least OpenGL and
> > GLUT seems to work for me so may I drop RUDL for
> now.
>
> Good luck & Have fun with Ruby !
>

> Regards,
>
> Bill

=====
Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD
Assistive Technology & Neuroscience Research CenterNational Rehabilitation
Hospital
102 Irving St., NW
Washington, DC 20010
202-877-1932 phone ext 1935