Hi --

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Austin Ziegler wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 14:51:41 +0900, Alan Chen wrote:
>
> > ary.map { |e,f,g|
> >   ei = Enumerable.iteration_info
> >   #...
> > }
>
> I like that, sort of. It still has the problem that a global does;
> why not make it an importable method for Enumerable?
>
> ary.map { |e, f, g|
>   ei = ary.iteration_info
>   #...
> }
>
> This doesn't work in cases where the same Enumerable could be
> iterated more than once (either by Threading or by nesting), but I
> think that those are pathological cases anyway.

Not necessarily.... but also, given that all of this is to avoid
either *_with_index or a manually-incremented loop variable, it's
probably not worth having it equate to a decision that certain other
constructs (threading or nesting) are to be avoided.

David

--
David Alan Black
home: dblack / candle.superlink.net