hal9000 / hypermetrics.com wrote:

So it looks like <i>for</i> acts in all sorts of unexpected ways if you
use "bad programming practice"(tm).
I doubt that I would ever have discovered those actions, but I do find
them surprising.  And they may someday bite me if I copy what looks like
safe code from one routine to another, so I do need to watch out for
them.  Of the two, I think the one about for not declaring a local scope
for its index variable is potentially the more dangerous, since a loop
should never be so large as to obscure the index, but if I were on
automatic, who can tell what I would have assumed.

-- (c) Charles Hixson
--  Addition of advertisements or hyperlinks to products specifically
prohibited