Hi --

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, William Djaja Tjokroaminata wrote:

> I think this subject has been discussed extensively in the past.  One of
> the latest discussions is http://www.ruby-talk.org/52944 (and all the
> other discussions surrounding it).  But if someone can give me an
> authoritative reference regarding the reason why '++' is not provided in
> Ruby, I will include it in the list.

From <http://www.ruby-talk.org/2710>, by Matz:

  (1) ++ and -- are NOT reserved operator in Ruby.

  (2) C's increment/decrement operators are in fact hidden assignment.
      They affect variables, not objects.  You cannot accomplish
      assignment via method.  Ruby uses +=/-= operator instead.

  (3) self cannot be a target of assignment.  In addition, altering
      the value of integer 1 might cause severe confusion throughout
      the program.

David

--
David Alan Black