On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:27:25 +0900, Rando Christensen wrote:
> Wed, 20 Nov 2002 08:19:11 +0900: Gavin Sinclair ("Gavin Sinclair"
> <gsinclair / soyabean.com.au> ):
>> From: "Michael Brailsford" <brailsmt / yahoo.com>
>> Setting expandtab and foldmethod in a filetype plugin is indeed
>> appropriate, since it then applies to files of that type (in this
>> case, Ruby). However, I would use the *user's* ftplugin directory,
>> not the system one (small matter, I'm sure). i.e.
>> ~/.vim/ftplugin/ruby.vim
> Many VIM filetype plugins use vim variables to control whether
> folding takes place and how to fold for that language.

> unfortunately, the "official" ruby one distributed with VIM does
> not. It also seems to use a hardcoded two-spaces for indentation
> where the proper procedure would be to use tabs and let the user's
> tabstop/shiftwidth handle the rest.

Actually, the VIM filetype plugin probably shouldn't set the
indentation at all. While I've shifted to 2-space indentation
(because tabs are evil, and 4-space just gets too wide), it really
doesn't belong in the "global" VIM filetype (more in a personal VIM
filetype). I may post my (slightly modified) Ruby VIM filetype/
syntax/etc. files to my website in the near future, along with
instructions on how to use them and set them up.

I also get folding and a bunch of other nice macros for doing Ruby.

-austin
-- Austin Ziegler, austin / halostatue.ca on 2002.11.21 at 09.54.50