Hi sir Gavin Sinclair [mailto:gsinclair / soyabean.com.au]

You wrote:

> > [On 'and' and '&&']
> > I am surprise and I'm new to Ruby :-)
> >
> > I do find both structurally same, but why the difference in
> > precedence?
> >
> > Pls enlighten..
>
> Not so long ago, Matz stated that the difference in
> precedence was because natural language doesn't observe a
> high precedence for 'and'.  I thought that was a very nice
> observation from a computer geek.

but the precedence of the assignment operator has always been low (my
experience only) in other languages.

Eg, x = a and (b or c) and not c

would mean putting/assigning all results (ultimately) to x...

Am I confusing "=" assignment with "=" comparison then?? :-)

> Anyway, if you get any more authoriatitive answers (I may be
> confusing the issue with something else :), this one should be a FAQ.

Many thanks.

> Cheers,
> Gavin

Kind regards,