Hal E. Fulton wrote:

>>I know that Perl is often used by Oracle dbas and
>>webmasters to provide reporting capabilities and
>>provide website forms to put info into a database.
>>
>>Who would benefit most from using Ruby??

Obviously point out that DBAs and Webmasters can do anything in Ruby
that they would have done in Perl. But also stress the maintainability
factor: not only will the person writing the code benefit, but others
who may have to read and modify that person's code in the future.

>>As an OO scripting language, how does it fit with
>>Java and its partner in crime XML?

Hmm. It might still be shaky ground to bring up JRuby (don't know how
usable that is yet). But you could say that because Ruby is so strongly
object-oriented -- more so than any of the other popular scripting
languages -- that it's a very natural transition for Java programmers to
pick up Ruby. Along the same lines, Ruby would be a good choice for
rapid application development or prototyping of systems that might
eventually be implemented in Java.

>>I guess the question is what does Ruby do and how is
>>it more beneficial than Perl, Python or Java and to
>>what group of programmers, dbas, webmasters or ??

Be sure to sum up by assuring her that if one hears it talk, one wants
to only program immediately in Ruby.