On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 00:52:25 +0900,
christopher.j.meisenzahl / citicorp.com wrote:
> I've been reading the pickaxe book and I think I kind of
> understand them, but I really need a concise explanation of the
> point of them and the power of them to put me over the top.
>
> Any references to more info on this very much appreciated!
>
> I think one of the points of yield is to allow user defined
> classes to have easily defined iterators?

Mmm... I'm not sure that I'd actually define it that way. yield
calls a block associated with the method. File.open uses an optional
block to open and close a file while the logic is executed inside of
the block. FXRuby buttons can have blocks associated with them as
"responders" to actions on those buttons.

Iterators use blocks to do something with each element (or index) as
it is being iterated over.

-austin
-- Austin Ziegler, austin / halostatue.ca on 2002.11.18 at 12.06.51