I must say Idea (Intellij) _IS_ the best thing since sliced bread for
Java.  After a year of NOT doing Java devt (after 6 full-time Java
years) I had to go back to it.  If it wasn't for Idea, I don't think I
would have survived.  Its quite amazing what one can do with a
statically typed language.  Which brings me to what Gavin said.  Ruby is
quite usable and lots of the crap that Java forces you to do manually,
Ruby does for you.  But without static typing we may be somewhat
limited...time will tell.  What I am most interested in in the IDE is
distributed collaboration (or more like distributed project management)
using things like jabber and REAL transparency with dealing with version
control is another thing.

> I'm sure we'll see some very clever features plugged in to
> FreeRIDE, though. Even more if the interpreter can be made to
> generate useful information to reveal program structure, etc.
>
> Gavin

We will have something that gives you an AST that any plugin can access.
We already do through a library named Ripper, but its in the midst of a
refactor/rebuild.  This is an area that will be facinating to see what
folks come up with.  The nice thing about FreeRIDE will be the ease of
writing new plugins/functions in Ruby.  Hope that once we get it out and
rolling we get large community involvement.