Extensibility IN RUBY was the key thing for us.  We wanted the IDE to be
written in/extensible in Ruby itself.  The extensions we have in mind
are numerous, and fall far outside what you traditionally see in IDEs.

a) RDE (which is Ruby specific) is written in Pascal.  Not plugin based.
b) Eclipse is written in Java and is huge (54MB w/sdk).  Imagine telling
folks to download that + Java to develop for this nice lightweight
language.  Ouch.
c) Emacs...well if you are an Emacs user there will never be anything
better, but for the rest of humanity...there is FreeRIDE ;-)
d) ActiveState.  No current (or stated) support for Ruby until a
business model develops.

-rich