Thanks so much for the solution.  It worked, first time.

But... as a procedural guy trying to "get" this here new-fangled OO stuff:
File.open: why no close (but only when there's a good open)?
Where's the error processing?

I wound up trying an explicit open with begin, rescue, end; then trying to read the file in one fell swoop (is that right?), and closing it; then issuing the SQL statement (with its own begin, rescue, end)...

I'm sure there's a shorter, necessary-and-sufficient way.