* Austin Ziegler (austin / halostatue.ca) wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Nov 2002 23:07:47 +0900, Thomas Hurst wrote:
> > Since I think it's important for sites like this to be accessable,
> > I've redone the markup for the front page using XHTML strict and
> > soup. I'll do the CSS in a bit, then upload it somewhere so you can
> > (hopefully) intergrae it back into the site :)
>
> Note that XHTML strict still allows for <div> and <span>. These tags,
> in fact, are very useful.

Yes, I know.  I was refering, however, to their use as containers for
things such as headings and paragraphs where more semantically rich tags
already exist for them.

Compare the source of:

  http://www.ruby-doc.org/

with my (incomplete) 30-minute rewrite:

  http://voi.aagh.net/designs/ruby-doc/1/

I use <div> extensively, but only to group other elements together and
provide objects I can style, rather than to contain actual content
directly (usually).

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst  -  freaky / aagh.net  -  http://www.aagh.net/
-