On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Holden Glova wrote:

> For those of us unfortunate enough not to be able to attend rubyconf can
> you explain why to use this over rpkg? There are now several different
> (and up and coming) ruby package management tools and I am fearful that
> having many would be harmful to Ruby newbies and the Ruby community as a
> whole.
>
> Thanks in advance for any information provided.

I would be absolutely fine with the community deciding to use rpkg. The
only reason I bothered to work on this is that rpkg doesn't seem to have
attracted wide community support.

Without being in the slightest an expert on rubyconf there are a few
design decisions that I like:
	* Raa-install as indicated in its name doesn't try to do
everything, it builds on what we already have working (the RAA)
	* Raa-install doesn't need a local database of which libraries
have been installed. This means that even if you don't use the installer
to install libraries, everything will still work
	* Raa- install requires little new work from most developers, as
it supports the (mostly) standard ruby-tools for doing installation, in
fact the majority of packages work as is.

I hope this helps. If, I am misunderstanding anything about rpkg, please
let me know.

Thanks,

-Tom