On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 06:29:28AM +0900, Damon wrote:

> Let me clarify what I meant by translating the Japanese books into
> English.  I am proposing a joint effort between Japanese and American
> Ruby programmers.  We will need volunteers from Japan and the US.  A
> Japanese Ruby programmer will be paired up with an American Ruby
> programmer.  The Japanese programmer will take one of the Japanese
> Ruby books, translate each chapter into passable English, and hand off
> the chapter to an American Ruby programmer, who in turn converts the
> chapter into idomatic English.  The advantages to this approach are:
>
> 1)  The books are already published, so it is much easier to produce a
> English translation than write a new book from scratch.
>
> 2)  Both the Japanese and English speaker are Ruby programmers, so
> they are both well-versed in the problem domain.
>
> 3)  The Japanese books are short so each project can be completed in a
> few months (each chapter can be translated in 2 weeks).
>
> The translated books can be stored stored in electronic format and
> archived at the RAA, or if well-received, printed and distributed by a
> publisher such as O'Reilly.
>
> Any thoughts?

1) Some Japanese programmers might be able to translate directly to idiomatic
English.

2) American people are not the only native English speakers in the world :-)

More seriously: do you think the copyright holders would allow this?
Perhaps they'd try to enforce some kind of NDA or something so the book
isn't leaked.

--
	Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

* gb notes that fdisk thinks his cdrom can store one terabyte
	-- Seen on #Linux