> I think it's better to let fink do its thing in /sw. This is partly
> because I just like the ability to turn fink off by commenting out one
> line in my .tcshrc file and partly because there were some issues with
> the rbconfig.rb file, if memory serves, that made problems with
> building 3rd party libraries. Letting fink rebuild ruby gives you a
> fresh rbconfig.rb. Finally, fink will import enough X11 stuff to build
> ruby Tcl/Tk. I like to experiment with the alpha but progressing Quartz
> Tcl/Tk. With a fink build in /sw I can play around with X11 Tcl/Tk and
> then switch to Quartz Tcl/Tk.

Thanks, I think most peoople take this approach as well:  Use fink to
re-install ruby in /sw along with any additional libraries, thus
ignoring the native OS X installation of ruby.  I think this would
work fine, except for a few programs such as RubyCocoa which is
distributed via a .dmg file rather than fink, and insists upon
installing into /usr/lib.

As much as I like the fact that Apple distributes Ruby, I think it
does complicate things, if we want to use a package manager such as
fink that has a different notion of where packages whold be installed.