On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 09:12:46PM +0900, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> The article Simon linked was a great read (about setting up the Perl beginners
> mailing list).  I think the same would be a good idea for Ruby, except that
> maybe we don't have the right size for it.

It might be a solution, but (I repeat myself) it's a solution to a
different problem.  It's not beginners' questions that waste
bandwidth, and I've never seen anybody here frowning on them.  It's
just a finite number of repeated questions.

> Anway, if we don't fork the mailing list in this direction, we could at least
> see how PragDave's FAQ web page is going.  This was a great start;

I agree.

> all I want to suggest is a process:
>
>   When user A asks a question, and receives a good answer, social
>   pressure (gentle, of course) should be applied to user A to post
>   a follow-up summary of the problem and solution.  An experienced
>   member of the list should then input that information to the FAQ.
>
> How does that sound?

Newcomer: Why doesn't Ruby allow overloading of the `=' operator?''

- This is a frequently asked question.  If we answer, are you willing
  to sum up the answers you get so that we can put them online?

Newcomer1: Yeah, sure...

- Ok, then Ruby doesn't allow it because...

Newcomer2: No, sorry...

- No problem, you can still find the answers starting from
  http://www.ruby-talk.org...

Sounds good to me.

Massimiliano