From: "Massimiliano Mirra" <list / NOSPAMchromatic-harp.com>

> On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:40:20AM +0900, ahoward wrote:
> > M> a wiki or whatever, and redirect people there?  We don't want
> > M> ruby-talk to become ruby-design-advocacy, right?
> > i am relatively new to newsgroups in general,
>
> Welcome!
>
> > but it seems like comments like these suggest a move towards
> > splitting into sub-groups may be in order?
>
> It has been proposed a while ago, and I don't think it's a good
> solution to this particular problem.  We're not dealing with answering
> easy questions versus hard questions, we're dealing with answering
> recurring questions and hopefully doing that just once; that's the job
> of a web page rather than of a mailing list.
>
> Massimiliano

The article Simon linked was a great read (about setting up the Perl beginners
mailing list).  I think the same would be a good idea for Ruby, except that
maybe we don't have the right size for it.

Anway, if we don't fork the mailing list in this direction, we could at least
see how PragDave's FAQ web page is going.  This was a great start; all I want
to suggest is a process:

  When user A asks a question, and receives a good answer, social
  pressure (gentle, of course) should be applied to user A to post
  a follow-up summary of the problem and solution.  An experienced
  member of the list should then input that information to the FAQ.

How does that sound?

Gavin