Hello.

In message "Matz Roundtable Summary (was Re: rubyconf notes)"
    on Nov.05,2002 14:16:02, <pabs / pablotron.org> wrote:
| Q. Any idea when popen3 will be fixed in win32? (from the FreeRIDE guy)
| A. I have no idea about the Win32 code.  I need patches.
|
| Q. Any plans to emulate fork() on win32 via createprocess? that way we
| could move away from cygwin for win32?
(snip)
| A. I'm not sure what's going to happen on Win32 for fork().  There's
| some maintenance work for more compatability, so mabye it'll work
| better in the future.  You should contact the Win32 Ruby maintainer at
| usa / ruby-lang.org (<-- not sure if that's right).

About popen3, we already have mechanism to realize it on 1.7.
But there is not a method to call this mechanism from a script
yet, since we do not find a nice name for it.

About fork(), we (win32 maintainers) don't think that fork()
is absolutely necessary.
It is necessary in order to realize popen3 or other some
features.
So, if we can realize these features without fork(), it
becomes needless.
Of course this is not meaning to stop contribution of fork()
emulation code from somebody :)

Regards,
--
U.Nakamura <usa / osb.att.ne.jp> / <usa / ruby-lang.org>