OK, i am also a just getting started learning Ruby -but heres what I
think the FAQ should say:

Q:Why and How is Ruby different from <my last/favorite language>?

A:Well the best way to learn Ruby (in fact any language) is NOT to
compare it with anything else! The reason to learn Ruby in the
first place, is because things are done different. And the only way
one becomes a good Ruby programmer is by solving things in Ruby (and
NOT translating solutions to Ruby). To put it short: Ruby is Ruby!

/Peter

 -> Sorry for starting a new thread on this, but the original post was
 -> forked from a non-related thread, the subject of which I keep
 -> forgeting.  Below, Massimiliano is calling for a solution to a
 -> recurring problem that I have been a large part of.  I apologize
 -> for my excesses and give my agreement to what he proposes.  I
 -> would personally prefer that there be only one place to look for
 -> answers to the problems discussed below.  So I vote for an
 -> extended FAQ, that includes William's ``List of things that
 -> newcomer to Ruby should know'' and sections that summarize threads
 -> such as this: Why and How is Ruby different from <my last/favorite
 -> language> I believe that the FAQ is the appropriate place for such
 -> things because it serves this function on so many other lists.
 -> After all, the complaint is that these are Frequently Asked
 -> Questions.