Gavin Sinclair wrote:

>It's probably not intuitive to *anybody* (except perhaps Matz).  However, I see
>no particular justification for it being any other way, and in fact it's
>changing in 1.7 isn't it?  Anyway, my point is: you'll never forget it now.
>And if you're like me, you won't care either.
>
>But to nitpick, a String is *not* an array of integers.  It is a String :)
>
>Other options, if you're testing equality of an individual character:
>
>  string[i] == ?x
>  string[i,1] == "x"

OK, Gavin, you are right, it's an exception, you must deal with it, the
problem is that Ruby has too many exceptions, and when I debug my
programs, most of my errors are this exceptions. I'm starting, it's
right, but it's very frustating when all the debuging is just for non
orthogonal sintaxis, this denotes a lack of maturity in the language,
and is one of the things I wanted to put on top of table, so someone can
take a think on it.

Enric