here, maybe if i explained my position and the guys position it will be a
little clearer. The guy has a relatively large network. I was talking to him
about ruby, and how it would be nice if he hosted my ruby mud. We got to
talking about who else would be interested in paying for him to host ruby
services. If he could get atleast an 8 user base at 15 a month, he would have
no problem with setting up a new machine for it. I run the interpreter off of
my windows machine, on an aol connection for that matter, so having a network
service in ruby hosted at 15 a month seemed pretty cheap to me. So i said id
look into it an see if anyone would be interested. Resource overhead is a
secondary concern, and network overhead a distant 3rd. if a pentium 3 512 meg
machine running redhat can handle 40 ruby proccess id dont know, 8 clients at
15$ a month is the magic number. If thats thinkable at 5 (background) process
great, maybe 3, half a process, whatever. Im more interested if anyone would
PAY for the shells than the ammount of (background) processes delegated.
Managment is an after thought at this point, what i get out of this is
somewhere to host my services if it happens.