On Friday 01 November 2002 11:56 am, ahoward wrote:
> rubyists-
>
> what are peoples opinions on these projects?  has anyone used all three?
> how would you rate them?  other contenders?
>
> -a

I have used two of the three- amrita and iowa.

I am currently using amrita for all of my website projects, including work for
a high-interest client.  I find amrita templating extremely pure and
flexible; I used eruby for quite some time and found it (or any 'embedded'
code) extremely difficult to manage in large projects.  Amrita templates are
ridiculously short, and features like expand_attr and ExpandByMember mean
that you can turn Ruby objects into webpage content with little or no
translation.  Also note that amrita has an interface to cgikit; although I
haven't used it, perhaps you'd be interested in it.

I tried out iowa in the past- and really love the idea; most recent
development (Seaside) has done in Squeak/Smalltalk, however.  I'm not sure of
the stability/utility of iowa (or when an updated version will return to
Ruby), but I was very impressed w/ the initial release.  Definitely something
to watch for- contact Avi Bryant for more information; I know he's been
looking for feedback on the project.

Best of Luck!-
~ Bruce