martindemello / yahoo.com (Martin DeMello) wrote in message news:<42f186e.0211020235.73dfcf72 / posting.google.com>...
> Since I didn't know until someone told me...
>
> cygwin includes a *standalone* rxvt port. Standalone meaning it
> doesn't need an X server, but runs happily on your windows desktop.
> Much nicer than the MSDOS terminal that the cygwin shell usually runs
> in.
>
> martin

FYI, for the time being I've given up using rxvt to invoke irb or the
Ruby debugger. Trying to correct inevitable typos within irb or debug
has led to spurious characters being passed to the eval loop causing
it 1) **at best** to complain or 2) unfortunately simply blast out of
the program back to the command line. #2 has happened often to me and
is pretty infuriating stuff when one's deeply immersed in a code
exploration.

I'm sure there's some fix but for the time being I just use the DOS
window which behaves nicely with irb and debug. (This is in
old-fashioned win98se.)

I wonder if you'll experience these joys of rxvt+(irb/debug). :-)

Walt