On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, at 12:21 PM, Raymond Blum wrote:

> So I have two questions:
>  1 - Does anyone know what to do to get strscan built on MacOS 10.2?

I took the cowards way out: "fink install ruby." If you haven't used
fink, you're in for a treat. Fink is at
http://fink.sourceforge.net/index.php Look for the Jag install
directions. One great thing is you can totally disable it by simply
commenting out a line in your .tcshrc.

I still had one problem. Somehow the Makefile gets a "-L. -ruby"
appended to the gcc call. I just edited it out, reran make, and then
went back to the strscan directory and did the "sudo ruby install.rb
install"

>  2-  Is there a good explanation for how mkmf works? (i.e. the above)

It's weird an wonderful when it works. The only way I found to get a
handle on it was to step through it with the Pickaxe book in front of
me. Of course it has to be working first. Hence fink.

--
There are two kinds of fool. One says, "This is old, and therefore
good."