On 2002-10-30 04:15:17 +0900, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> The new methods are usable like this
> FileTest.readable_file?(filename)
> But why doesn't
> File.readable_file?(filename)
> work? Class File mixes in FileTest and my understanding is that this
> happens by reference via a proxy class. Why, then, are definitions
> added to the mixed-in module not visible from the mixing-in class?

FileTest isn't mixed into File:

File.included_modules
    ==>[File::Constants, Enumerable, Kernel]

Reading the source in file.c I found out that the FileTests functions
are defined as module methods in FileTest *and* singleton methods in
File.

> And incidentally, why are there both FileTest and File::Stat?

I have no idea.

--
Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of
thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because