Hi
  I have been debugging a problem trying to install strscan on MacOS
10.2 which is failing with the msg "can't find header files for ruby".

In the course of tracing through the problem I have become completely
mystified by the mkmf.rb file.  When it calls Config, that loads up the
CONFIG hash with reasonable keys such as "archdir" of which the values
are [what looks like] shell vars (i.e. "$(libdir)/$(arch)"
   (It looks like it is writing a shell script)

The problem appears to be that the values for vars (such as archdir)
contain these unresolved variables ("$(arch)" for example) as opposed
to the path which has been assigned to $arch.

So I have two questions:
  1 - Does anyone know what to do to get strscan built on MacOS 10.2?

  2-  Is there a good explanation for how mkmf works? (i.e. the above)

Thanks In Advance
---Raymond