Charles Hixson <charleshixsn / earthlink.net> wrote:
> That doesn't seem to be what's going on (though it seemed like a good
> guess, until I fully parenthesized it.  The current re-write is:
>             r    =    ((val / 10).to_f )
>             result[i]    =    r / 100. ;        <<==  The error is here
>             val    =    (val * @step)
> which produces the error message:
> C:/Docs/PayScale/rb/paySchedHtml.rb:24: syntax error

> Using parentheses instead of  a semicolon doesn't help.

Hi Charles,

I think it is still a similar thing.  When Ruby parses "100.", it expects
something (a method name) to be sent to the object 100.  But because it is
followed by a ";" which signifies the terminating of the current
statement, Ruby complains.  (Although probably some message like "missing
method name" would be clearer than simply "syntax error", I don't know too
much about the exact internal details and algorithms of the Ruby
parser; so probably "missing method name" is incorrect from Ruby grammar
point of view.)

Regards,

Bill