William Djaja Tjokroaminata wrote:

>Charles Hixson <charleshixsn / earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>	   result[i]	=	(val / 10).to_f / 100.
>>	   val	=	(val * @step)	#<<== Here is the error
>>

>Hi,
>
>This is related to Item 14 in the "Things That Newcomers to Ruby Should
>Know":
>
>    http://www.glue.umd.edu/~billtj/ruby.html#dot
>
>I guess that although Ruby syntax is in some sense "line based", a lot of
>things can make Ruby continues to the next line, if the interpreter thinks
>that the current line is "unfinished".
>
>Regards,
>
>Bill

That doesn't seem to be what's going on (though it seemed like a good
guess, until I fully parenthesized it.  The current re-write is:
            r    =    ((val / 10).to_f )
            result[i]    =    r / 100. ;        <<==  The error is here
            val    =    (val * @step)
which produces the error message:
C:/Docs/PayScale/rb/paySchedHtml.rb:24: syntax error

Using parentheses instead of  a semicolon doesn't help.

--
-- Charles Hixson
Gnu software that is free,