In article <apl07u02pmj / enews1.newsguy.com>,
Phil Tomson <ptkwt / shell1.aracnet.com> wrote:
>In article <868z0irxgw.fsf / squash.oucs.ox.ac.uk>,
>Simon Cozens  <simon / ermine.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>>ptkwt / shell1.aracnet.com (Phil Tomson) writes:
>
>>Second, SWIG is particularly useful when you're trying to do cross-language
>>library extensions. But we're only trying to export Ruby's AST to Ruby, so
>>cross-langage concerns are irrelevant.
>
>Well, I guess I should put it differently: We could use SWIG to wrap
>ruby.h and node.h and basically do what you're trying to do, but more
>automatically.

OK, I see the error of my ways - I just tried to wrap node.h with SWIG
and yeah, that's not gonna work.... you end up wrapping stuff that
obviously doesn't need to be wrapped (he says sheepishly:)

Have you added any more code to your bytecode.c?

><TANGENT>
>That brings up an interesting point: What if one were to wrap
>Python with SWIG so that the Python interpreter was available from within
>Ruby?
></TANGENT>

But this might still be a viable idea for someone who might want to
evaluate Python code from within Ruby (or I suppose the same could be
done with Perl or Tcl).

Phil