ptkwt / shell1.aracnet.com (Phil Tomson) writes:
> I wonder if we could do this a lot faster by using swig to wrap the
> Ruby C parser?  Swig Ruby itself to make an extension for Ruby.

First, SWIG is there when your own language's extension mechanism is a
pain in the ass; Ruby's extension system is just fine, (much more
sensible than Perl's or Python's) and so I don't think SWIG is the
answer. (to anything) And, to be blunt, I prefered Perl's XS to SWIG.
Your milage, of course, is sure to vary.

Second, SWIG is particularly useful when you're trying to do cross-language
library extensions. But we're only trying to export Ruby's AST to Ruby, so
cross-langage concerns are irrelevant.

We dealt with SWIG in Extending and Embedding Perl
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1930110820/) and, to be frank,
I really don't want to deal with it again. Ruby's extension API,
although I've beaten it up in the past
(http://www-6.ibm.com/jp/developerworks/linux/001027/ruby_qa.html)
kicks seven shades of shite out of Perl's.

--
WILLIAM: Just incidentally -- why are you wearing that?
SPIKE: Ahm -- combination of factors really. No clean clothes...