Kevin Pauli wrote:
> Thanks for the response.  That address argument seems to be the target
> address.

Sorry, the 'localhost' bit threw me off.

> I need to specify the IP address to use on the machine where
> the Ruby interpreter is running.  (My machine is multi-homed, with
> several IP addresses bound to it).  For example, I would expect
> something like this java.net.Socket constructor provides:
>
> public Socket(InetAddress address, int port, InetAddress localAddr,
> int localPort)
>
> Notice that you can specify the local address and port as well as the
> target address and port.
>
> Am I missing something in the Ruby version, or is the capability
> simply not available?

I went looking a bit, but couldn't find anything that does it directly.
I noticed that UDPSocket has a method bind for setting the local
address, but I can't find anything similar in TCPSocket. The constructor
for TCPSocket in 1.7 seems to take an argument for the local address,
but how to get that to influence the Net::HTTP?

However, from what I can gather, it might be possible to twiddle this
with setsockopt. If this option can be changed after the initial
connection has been made, you could instance_eval on the Net::HTTP to
get the socket, but what options, level etc to call setsockopt with, I
have no idea.

HTH a little more than my last post. :-)

--
(\[ Kent Dahl ]/)_    _~_    __[ http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~kentda/ ]___/~
 ))\_student_/((  \__d L b__/  NTNU - graduate engineering - 5. year  )