On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Simon Cozens wrote:

> > Who said "best"? I didn't. I said "all".
>
> That's not future-proof, unless you're happy with 500M Ruby source tarballs.

So long as they are mutually consistent and work, I would be _very_ happy.

What makes me very unhappy is if I need version x.y of package A to use
package B and version x.z of Package A to use package C.

> > Ok, so I said "reasonable prime time", but I would advocate being generous
> > in that definition.
>
> My point was that *somebody* has to make the decision. And somebody else
> isn't going to be happy with it. So why do it? If you've got a good-enough
> automated download system, you don't need a sumo package.
>
> Think about debian-sumo. Think about precisely why it does not exist.

Contrariwise. Debian _is_ the "-sumo" distribution of Linux.

The way they manage it is a model. Not a perfect model, but a model.

New Zealand

Good Ideas:
Ruby                 - http://www.ruby-lang-org - The best of perl,python,scheme without the pain.
Valgrind             - http://developer.kde.org/~sewardj/ - memory debugger for x86-GNU/Linux