Hi,

(...)

    G> The question I am formulating is related to Python (as Python
    G> seems to be the closest match, due to its OOP features, and
    G> being both scripting languages), but it is not related to
    G> whether Ruby is better than Pyhon, but rather to the question
    G> of if the differences really are so great, that the switch is
    G> worth it.

I cannot add much more to the answers posted so far. I was also coming
from Perl over Python to Ruby. For me Ruby has one BIG advantage that
nobody has mentioned so far, however: Ruby's C API.

Ruby's nice/clever thought-thru C API combined with its true garbage
collector make programming C extensions for Ruby a non-issue in
opposition to C extensions written for Python or (GOD safe me!) Perl.

Besides this I think Ruby is more dynamic and flexible than Python.
And, as Yasushi Shoji mentioned: it is really fun! :-)

Try it, and examine for you own!

(...)

\cle