In message <0F17ACE0B516D51194BC009027FC497D1AE199B2 / gsny43e.ny.fw.gs.com>
Peter.Booth / gs.com writes:

> Can anyone tell me why I get a syntax error on the line
>
> containing buf = STDIN.gets below?

I can't get parse error on that line but get other, on `end' line for
`for'.  This is since the previous line is `currentUser++', which is
parsed as [variable] [binary `+'] [unary `+'] so a token expected to
be the next is a part of some expression.  `end' is not so.

Ruby does not provide unary increment/decrement operators because they
don't fit Ruby's programming model.

> Is there a ruby interpreter option that gives more detail on
>
> syntax errors?

Currently nothing but there're requests for more descriptive
messages.

>             buf = STDIN.gets

This is OK but....

>                         currentUser++
>
>             end

This is troublesome.

--
kjana / dm4lab.to                               October 21, 2002
No gains without pains.