In message "[ruby-talk:5354] Re: Object method scope"
    on 00/10/10, "Morris, Chris" <ChrisM / SNELLINGCORP.COM> writes:
>Is there a 1.6.1 compiled for Win32? I don't remember seeing it, but I'm a
>bit new so I'm sure I just missed it.

There are no official ports for win32 though, there are some compiled
packages by users:

 * eban's:
   from `Ruby binaries'
   http://jarh.hoops.livedoor.com/ruby/ruby-1.6.1-20001005-i386-mingw32.tar.gz

 * Nobuyoshi Nakada's:
   from `Ruby on Windows - Pirated Edition'
   http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Bay/4076/archive/ruby-common-1.6.1-20001005.noarch.lzh
   http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Bay/4076/archive/ruby-common-1.6.1-20001005.i586-mswin32.lzh

 * arton's:
   from `COM Meets Ruby'
   http://activeruby.freeservers.com/main.html

>My question then is this: why are methods that belong to Object private when
>prefixed with Self? I don't get this.

When we define a method on top level, it is amed to be as a function,
parhaps, e.g.,

 def sqr(n)
   n*n
 end

If it can be use as a public method, even the following is allowed,

 p [1,2,3].sqr(10) #=> 100

However, it probably is not expected.  This is the reason.

BTW, We can define a method as public one by a explicitly way:

 class Object
   def sqr(n)
     n*n

-- gotoken