Hi.
First of all, please don't flame me, or misinterpret my question.  I am
quite sure that you people
receive questions regarding Ruby in comparison to other languages all
the time, but that is not what
I am after.

The question I am formulating is related to Python (as Python seems to
be the closest match,
due to its OOP features, and being both scripting languages), but it is
not related to whether
Ruby is better than Pyhon, but rather to the question of if the
differences really are so great,
that the switch is worth it.

Python has the undeniable advantage of:
* more libraries.
* more books (3-4 for Python, one coming up for Ruby).
* more online documentation.
* a larger established user base (hey, programming alone is no fun).
* at least one "killer app" (I am of course talking about Zope).
* more commercial support (several companies are using Python/JPython
internally).

So, having all of the above present., is Ruby really a "so much" better
language to the extent
that  it is worth it to make the switch?  Because I don't know about
you, but I am not willing to
learn YAL (Yet Another Language), just because a few better quirks or
eye candy. If I am
switching to another language, it really have to be substantially and
noticeably better than
the previous one.

There, I've said it. I am really curious about your answers, I've been
reading a lot
of Ruby articles, but I have really not grokked it's apparent "Holy
Grail of programming"-ness.
I am sure that I am not the only one. Please enlighten me.  :-)

/ Gabriel Lima